Wednesday, June 2, 2010

NEWS

Well were do I start. Megan called in church on Sunday May 9th. Mother's day and her birthday. Her baby was due June 2nd but she was quite swollen and her blood pressure was high. She thought she was in labor. I drove to her house and she was definitely in labor. I was afraid she was too close to delivery so I took her to Cardston Hosp. They sent her from there to the Lethbridge hospital with the sirens on and at top speed. They said the only reason she didn't have the baby in the ambulance was that he got stuck on the way out. All was well but we had planned on doing our shopping and preparing in the next 3 weeks. I had to do some rush shopping so he would have something to wear and a car seat to come home in. We love our little Kingston and he is a good baby. That's the good news.
On May 16th at about 3 am I woke up because Robert was struggling for breath. He was white as a ghost and barely breathing. I shook him and turned him on his side and called the ambulance. I was scared to death. Just before the ambulance got here, He woke up and ran to our bathroom and vomitted in the sink. He appeared to be awake and even answer the ambulance attendents questions. They said he had the flu. I told them he wasn't breathing and was struggling in bed. They said he had the flu. They agreed to take him to the hospital. When we got there they had convinsed the Dr. and nurse he had the flu. They put him in a back room and proceeded to tell me he had the flu. I was so frustrated because I knew he was going to die. Well he did. They worked on him for quite awhile and got him semistable and rushed him to Lethbridge Hosp. were his heart stopped again. My good friends the Leavitt's drove me to the hospital. Andrea met us at the hospital around 4am and was a true blessing. She took care of me all day and was recieving and calling family members on her cell phone most of the day and evening. Her house was a mad house because she had to make room for me. She also thought all of Robert's kids were coming so she had her 5 kids sleeping on her bedroom floor. When we first went in to see Robert he had numerous tubes in him. He had approximately 10-12 bags of IV running and a nasogastric tube into his stomach and he had a tube into his lungs so they could get oxygen to his body. He looked gastly. I was sure I would lose him. We cried and prayed and cried and prayed. The nurse was awesome. She took care of all of us. They had to sedate him so he wouldn't fight. Glenys, Dave, Brad and Robert's Mom came to see him and give him a blessing. Grandma was very upset. The men also gave me a blessing in the waiting room. Andrea and I sat there most of the day holding his hand and telling him to get better and that we loved him. The rest of the day was a blurr of tests and talking to the Dr. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with him so they sent every test to the Foothills hospital in Calgary so they could help diagnos the problem. The afternoon was stressful because he started waking up and fighting the tubes etc. They kept talking about possible brain damage and that was really scarey. the nurse we had said the fighting and restlessness was usual for someone who had coded so many times. That is about all I can do right now. The outcome was good but I think it is also good for me to write this out and get rid of some of the feelings of helplessness and dread. We are at home and doing well. We have to follow aup at the Cjhildren's hosp in Calgary for genetic couselling and go to the pacemaker clinic in Lethbridge to have his Implantable Cardioverter Defibrilator checked. What a change to our lives but the most important part is that he is alive.

5 comments:

  1. what a scary experience. i hope he continues to do well, we will keep you in our prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart was just pounding while i was reading this. i'm grateful that he's home and that you didn't just settle for it being the flu. you're in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that things are a lot BETTER now, what a scary time, sorry that you had to go through all of that. I'm glad that Jason and his siblings were all able to make it up there to support you guys. You guys are awesome, please let me know if I can do anything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorraine, I am sitting here reading this with tears in my eyes. Life is too precious and I am so glad to hear he is ok. Thinking and praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete